South Hobart Renovation
- Renovation/Addition Project 2001,000 to $400,000
During 2014 we were approached by the owners and asked if we could quote on the renovation of their home. They did not have plans drawn up however they had a good idea of what they were after. After two meetings to discuss their needs, the developing of a preliminary plan and specifications, they had decided that they had,”found the builder they were after”.
The brief included the following:
The drive to proceed with the renovation was the need for better utilisation of the small space we have given our growing family and their needs. We needed to renovate the ageing bathroom and kitchen for obvious reasons but also to improve utilisation of space and in passing to improve the energy efficiency of the house. We also wished to preserve existing features of the house.
The improvement in space is evidenced by
- The incorporation of the upstairs enclosed veranda into the main bedroom
- The kitchen design with extension of work space into the dining room
- The extent of kitchen cupboard space including a pantry cupboard
- The generation of a spacious hall cupboard
- Improvement in storage space in the bathrooms by the design of the vanity units
- The formation of a small deck utilising an area of the garden that was previously poorly utilised thus extending the dining and kitchen area
- Formation of additional storage for gardening equipment and outdoor furniture underneath the deck
- The relocation of the kitchen has improved the dynamics of the house as on the ground floor, eating/ living areas are now able to be separated from bedrooms.
Energy efficiency has been improved by installation of
- Solar hot water
- Double glazed Windows
- Bedroom skylight improving cooling in summer
- Appropriate insulation of the roof and walls of the master bedroom
Preserving existing features
- Reuse of original bricks from wall and fireplace demolition
- Reuse of original internal doors
- The stand out feature is the upstairs skylight, the electronic nature of this plus rain sensor has provided more comfortable living obviating the need for laborious manual operation and the need for obsessing about the weather
- The use of the glass Splashback as a unique decorative feature
We know that our clients on this project are ecstatic with the outcome of this renovation and that it has greatly exceeded their expectations. This makes all the hard work incredibly rewarding.